Solid Wood Furniture Care
by Darryl long
on October 17, 2019
HOW DO I CARE FOR WOODEN FURNITURE?
Although care instructions will vary for different types of furniture, here are some general tips to bear in mind when welcoming a new piece of furniture into your home:
- Take care when moving furniture – dragging it across the floor will loosen and damage the joints. Always lift and move.
- From time to time check that there are no loose fittings. Tighten as necessary.
- Avoid exposing your furniture to direct and prolonged periods of sunlight and heat sources as fading and cracking may occur.
- Take care to prevent sharp objects e.g. toys, buckles and heels from coming into contact with your furniture, and avoid contact with chemicals e.g. cosmetics or hair products which may permanently mark the surface.
HOW DO I CLEAN MY WOODEN FURNITURE?
Our products are made from solid woods. These can be cared for in a vary simple way. Here are our top tips:
- Dust regularly with a clean dry cloth.
- Wipe up any spills immediately with a damp cloth and then dry the surface with a clean dry duster.
- Remove stubborn stains with a weak washing up liquid solution and a damp cloth and dry after with a clean cloth.
- The use of furniture polish or spray is not necessary or recommended.
- Never use abrasive or corrosive cleaning agents.
- Always use place mats and coasters to protect the surface from moisture and heat.
Kube Designs products are finished with either oil or lacquer:
Oiled timber: Showcases the grain and colour beautifully, but is less protected against moisture. Luckily if you have an accident, oiled solid timber can normally be sanded back and re-oiled.
Lacquered timber: This is normally applied by spraying the piece, so is harder to repair at home. Lacquer is quite durable, and gives more protection against moisture and spills, so is perfect for hard-wearing pieces of furniture.